Hey there, fellow professionals! In today's digital age, your online presence speaks volumes, and nothing screams "I mean business" quite like a polished headshot. If you're an executive professional over 30, this one's especially for you. Unlock the secret to perfect professional headshots as we dive into the world of headshots and uncover some secrets, shall we?
The Power of First Impressions
Remember when you'd walk into a room, and all eyes would be on you? Well, in the digital realm, your headshot does that walking and talking. It's your digital handshake, your online "hello." Unlocking the secret to a perfect professional headshot can elevate your personal brand and set the tone for your professional image.
Age is Just a Number, But Experience is Gold
Being over 30 means you've got stories, experiences, and a certain je ne sais quoi that the younger lot is still figuring out. Your headshot should reflect that blend of wisdom, experience, and modern flair. I recall photographing a CEO in her mid 40s. She was apprehensive about looking "too old" or "outdated." But with the right angles and lighting, her headshot radiated confidence, grace, and timeless beauty.
Professional Headshot Tips: The Secret Sauce
Tip 1: Choose the Right Photographer
Your cousin with a DSLR might be great for family picnics, but for a professional headshot? Maybe not. I've been in the business of headshots and stylized fashion photography for years, and trust me, experience matters. Dive deep into portfolios before making a choice.
Tip 2: Dress for Success
I once had a client show up in neon sneakers and a graphic tee. Fun? Absolutely. Professional? Not quite. Opt for attire that's a blend of your personal style and professional elegance. Think timeless with a hint of trend.
Tip 3: Great Lighting is Your Best Friend
Proper lighitng for different type of skin tone is absolutely the best. I've shot countless headshots in the studio, and the results are always stunning. It accentuates features and gives a fresh, vibrant look.
Tip 4: Opt for Genuine Expressions
A forced smile? It's more evident than you think. During shoots, I often crack a joke or two, or ask clients to think of a cherished memory. The result? Genuine smiles and expressions that light up the frame.
Tip 5: Posture and Poise
Stand tall, chin up, and shoulders relaxed. It's a mantra I often repeat during shoots. Good posture exudes confidence.
Tip 6: Post-Processing Magic
A touch-up here, a little brightness there, but never overdo it. The goal is to enhance, not change. Your headshot should be the best version of you, not someone else.
Tip 7: Common Pitfalls to Sidestep
Over-editing? A big no-no. That busy wallpaper background? Distracting. And overly casual attire? Save it for the weekend. Your headshot is a representation of your professional self, so let's keep it sharp and sophisticated.
Wrapping it up
Investing in a professional headshot is like investing in a tailored suit or a premium pair of shoes. It's a statement. Unlock the secret to perfect professional headshots and present the best version of yourself to the world. So, go on, apply these tips, and let your headshot do the talking!
A Little Nudge
If you've been nodding along and thinking of updating that headshot, why wait? And if you found these tips handy, share them with a friend or two. After all, sharing is caring!
Cheers to making stellar first impressions!
The big 4-0 is finally here – congratulations! This is an exciting time of your life.
However, know that it’s also completely normal to not feel like celebrating once you enter your 40s. Many women really struggle to feel as beautiful and confident as they once did. Just know that you’re not alone.
The good news is that life doesn’t need to come to a grinding halt – here are a few things you can do to feel more like yourself again.
1. Take Stock of Your Achievements. Now is a good time to step away from the day-to-day drama and take stock of how far you’ve come. Purchase a small journal and write down some of the things you’ve achieved over the last 40 years.
2. Step Away from Negativity. Consider who you’re surrounding yourself with. When you’re already struggling with your confidence, there’s no need to surround yourself with toxic or negative friends and family members. Find ways to keep your distance as much as possible.
3. Get a Makeover. When was the last time you treated yourself to some new makeup, skincare products, and a haircut? This is a perfect time to change up your routine and embrace a new look. You don’t have to make a drastic change either – even adding more pampering into your routine can make a world of difference.
4. Book a 40 Over 40 Shoot. 40 over 40 projects are designed to empower women in their 40s, helping them see just how beautiful they truly are through the power of photography. Consider joining other women who are embracing a new era in their lives by booking a 40 over 40 shoot.
5. Don’t Buy Into Dos and Don’ts. You might be thinking that you need to wear your hair a certain way or only buy certain types of clothing now that you’re 40 – this is absolutely not true. In the end, as much as you should embrace this age, there are no hard and fast rules about what you should and shouldn’t do.
6. Pick Up an Autobiography. Instead of scrolling on social media, why not pick up an autobiography or two that were written by older women? Sometimes, all it takes is a few wise words from someone who has been where you are to make you feel more inspired.
7. Consider Becoming a Mentor. Have some knowledge and experience to impart? To boost your confidence, why not mentor someone at work? Not only will they appreciate your time and wisdom, but it will make you realize just how far you’ve come too. With that being said, this is also a great time for you to pick up some new skills yourself.
8. Treat Your Body Well. Your body is going to change throughout your life and your 40s are no different. Take some time to re-evaluate the foods you are eating, how you’re moving your body, and how you’re treating your mind.
9. Start Dating Again. If you’re single and have been for a while, make this the year you start dating again. There’s no need to see this as a serious next step either. Instead, see this as you stepping out into the world again and meeting new people just for the fun of it.
10. Put Yourself First. As women, we very often put everyone else before us – now is the time to change that. Make a conscious decision to put yourself first as much as possible. Change the narrative in your head that says you can’t be selfish. And yes, it’s perfectly fine to say no!
11. Imagine a New Future. Now that you’ve reached your 40s, it’s time to dream of new things. Perhaps you want to set a new career goal or finally sit down and create that bucket list – now is the best time!
Sonia Ahmad is a Certified Professional Photographer (CPP) based in Cypress, TX. She specializes in personal portrait session includes Seniors, Teens and tweens, Women's personal branding, Mother & Daughter, Glamour and fashion, Headshots. See more portrait session in the gallery.